CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

01 October 2010

My 1st month journey of being a pre-degree student

I can still remember vividly that hot afternoon on 2nd May in my grandmother’s house in Ipoh. I shouted with joy when I received news from my mother that I was offered to pursue my studies in Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM), Shah Alam for the Foundation Study in TESL course. I was amused with Opah’s bewildered look when she heard me shouting. I hugged my Opah tightly as I could not believe that I got through the interview and I have been given the opportunity to pursue my favourite subject, English. I waited patiently for my parents to fetch me and once I got home in Tanjong Malim, I started to look for information about UiTM Shah Alam. I had the privilege to learn about UiTM through its website. Moreover, with my mother’s help, I successfully filled in the information needed in the forms obtained online as preparation to enter this established university. I felt excited waiting for the registration day.

Finally, on registration day, I was among unfamiliar faces except my accompanying family members. Once we boarded the bus to the college, I saw a girl holding a pail with a pair of sports shoes and I realised that I have forgotten to pack mine. My mother assured that she would buy a pair of new sports shoes for me. Then, we reached Kolej Mawar where the girls would be placed for the whole semester. I walked nervously to the registration counter to get my room key. It was my first time staying away from my family. I hoped that the room was comfortable. After I had registered, I walked to my room on the second floor of block 1B. Once I opened the door of Room 9, I was shocked because the room was quite small for four, but it was simple and nice. Then, we started to arrange our clothes and things in the room. Finally, our family members had to leave us. So, I said goodbye to my family members and rested in the room while waiting for the time to gather.

From that day onwards, the orientation week started. I got to know all my 3 roommates. They are law students and I am the only one who is taking the TESL course. Hani is the oldest in our room, Ika is the second, while I am the third, followed by Ami. We bonded together and are like sisters in the short moment of our meeting. Although the orientation week was not as fun as I thought, but, I learned that life as a university student is very different from the secondary school life. I learned to be more independent as I started to live on my own without my family.

The following week in UiTM Shah Alam, was a fun week. Although I was not really used to the freedom of being a university student, but I tried my best to adapt and adjust to my new environment. My classes are in INTEC, Seksyen 17. All the TESL students have to take the UiTM bus from the college to INTEC. I got my timetable and I am happy with it because there are no night classes and most of my classes will start at 10.30 a.m. However, I was informed that busses will only be available from 7.30 a.m. until 8.30 a.m. So, whether I like it or not, I have to wake up early everyday to catch the bus. Thanks to the bus schedule, I have to be ready early every day.

Once I reached INTEC for the first time, I was shocked because of the environment there. Everything looked familiar to me. The buildings, the structures and the colours looked like a school! Even the tables and chairs in the class are set up exactly like in a school. But, the similarities do not change the fact that this is a university. So, on the first week, I got to know my new classmates, lecturers and ways of studying in a university. We discussed the learning outcomes and tests that we will have throughout this semester. Since then, I learned to be more punctual and hardworking because these are crucial for a student. The second week in UiTM taught me the importance of family. When I was down, as I heard my mother’s voice, it will automatically make me feel relieved. I was glad that my family encourages me and I will definitely work hard to achieve my goals for myself and my family as well.

On the third week, many classes were postponed as the lecturers were busy with their meetings and courses. Now, I know how it feels like not having to attend classes when we are ready and eager. Replacing classes is another headache! All these are totally different from my secondary school life, but I do enjoy the classes as I love to learn English. During this period, I have discovered new friends and I hang out with them every day in campus.

Now, it is the fourth week which is a hectic week as we have a lot of replacement classes due to the absence of the lecturers last week. We do not even have time to rest because we have as many as 4 classes on certain days. Now I know how tired it is to be a university student. But, with the encouragement from friends and family, I stood up to face life here bravely. I am glad that I managed to finish all the homework given by the lecturers and I managed to revise and do my own notes too.

As time flies, it is now the end of the fourth week. As usual, I have to go to classes but now I am used to the university life. I enjoy being a university student. Most importantly, I learned lots of things during the first month here. I learn to save money and budget my expenditures, I learn to be independent without my parents, I learn to be strong, brave and I build up my confidence. I hope I can be a successful student and I hope I can master English as I hope I can be a good interpreter in the future.

0 comments: